Unit Title: Diabetes
Provisional level: 2
Guided Learning Hours: 2
Purpose and Aim:
- To equip care workers with the skills and knowledge of diabetes and how it affects the body.
- Discuss what information people with diabetes require in order to understand their condition and appropriate education strategies to provide this information.
- Discuss best practice care for people with diabetes.
- Discuss role of carers in promoting best practice care.
- Discuss guidelines in relation to care planning for diabetes
Learners go on to explore the support needs of service users and carers when diabetes is diagnosed and discuss the types of treatment and therapy to alleviate symptoms.
Techniques of blood testing are examined and learners have the opportunity to test blood under controlled conditions.
This unit is assessed through written and oral questions, and practical demonstration.