Unit Title: Buccal Administration of Medication
Provisional Level: 2
Guided learning Hours: 2
Purpose and Aim:
To equip care workers with the skills to administer medication via access to the buccal mucosa of the mouth and ensure understanding of current safe practice in administering oral medication.
- The learner must define the phrase “route of administration”
- Identify the factors that can influence the route of administration
- Define the terms local use and systemic use, and explain how these uses are put into effect
- List the major routes of administration and the advantages and disadvantages associated with each dosing form
- Discuss correct techniques for administration of oral/ buccal administration
- Answer set questions on oral medication.
- Demonstrate correct method and procedure for administering oral medication
This unit is assessed through Written and oral questions, group discussion and practical demonstration by the learner in buccal administration.